Applying For Jobs
Science Co-op Portal
The Science Co-op Portal, commonly referred to as careerCONNECT at www.uofmcareerservices.ca, is our Co-op job database. All students at the University of Manitoba are automatically enrolled in careerCONNECT upon registration. Data is pulled from Aurora to create the account, therefore it’s critical that your personal profile in Aurora is complete and accurate.
- View opportunities under the “Job Postings” section of the Science Co-op Module
- Upload your applications in “Documents”
- Sign up for interviews and view your own interview calendar
- Consult and utilize the documents available in “Co-op Resources”
- Fill out online student evaluation for each work term
How to Apply for Co-op Jobs
Step 1: Preparation
The careerCONNECT Portal is the online database which allows you to post your resumes, browse for jobs, and sign up for interviews. Please refer to the instructions in the user manual you received to set up your profile and apply for jobs online.
- Prepare your resume and cover letter in consultation with your Coordinator. Remember to include the Science Co-op Header but no personal contact information; employers will contact you through the Co-op office. Ensure your file size is not too large or you will have trouble uploading to the portal. It should come to around 100-200 kb.
- Download the “Candidate Summary Sheet” and complete the fields as instructed on file.
- Follow the Science Co-op Manual to learn how to copy your unofficial transcript from Aurora and save it as a PDF. If you are a transferred student, you will need to upload your transcript from the other institution. All transcripts from other post-secondary institutions should be combined in one file. *NOTE: Do not alter the transcript, including the order of it, in any way. Ensure that your name appears at the top of the document and your Student Number is removed.
- Prepare all other documents indicated on the job posting (e.g. references, writing sample, etc.).
- Upload all documents to your careerCONNECT account.
Step 2: Applying for Jobs
- Jobs are posted onto the portal as they are received, make it a habit to view the postings regularly.
- All jobs have a deadline date and are normally posted for a minimum of one week (unless the employer advises otherwise). You must submit your application by 9 a.m. on the closing date. Late applications will NOT be accepted.
- When reviewing the job description, consider the following criteria: the job title, duration, location, duties and responsibilities, relevant skills required, description of the employer, corporate culture, size, special requirements and qualifications which are considered to be an asset for the job.
- You must have at least 50% of the skills required in order to apply.
- You must write a cover letter for EVERY job you are applying for (unless stated otherwise in the job posting). The maximum length of a cover letter is one page.
All application packages must be assembled in the following order:
- Candidate Summary Sheet
- Cover letter
- Any additional documents specific to employer (if required)
The Co-op office reserves the right to send your resumes directly to employers who do not post jobs on the Science Co-op Portal.
Please ensure that your Science Co-op Portal account contains a default portfolio with your summary sheet, an updated resume, and transcript so your Coordinator can forward your application to employers.