The study, understanding, and exploration of biological processes using chemical and biological techniques.
Here’s what Biochemistry students can do for you:
- Basic laboratory techniques including; media preparation and molecular techniques including; PCR and cloning, gel electrophoresis, protein and nucleic acid purification, enzyme assays as well as lab safety protocols
- Routine operation of instruments; incubators, UV/vis spectrophotometers, centrifuges and liquid handling
- Sample collection and preparation
- Data collection, analysis and visualization-R, Python, SPSS, MATLAB
- Research – experiential design; scientific literature searches
Science Co-op students are equipped with a solid foundation of transferable skills which include:
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Research, analysis, and project management
- Communications and writing
- Digital Technology
- Leadership and teamwork
- Cultural and historical awareness
For a detailed list of courses to learn of the areas covered by Biochemistry lectures and labs, please refer to the University of Manitoba’s Academic Calendar.