Chemistry is the study of properties of materials, syntheses of compounds, characterization and determination of structures of compounds, measurement of reaction kinetics and understanding the mechanisms of chemical processes.
Here’s what Chemistry students can do for you:
- Basic laboratory techniques including; media preparation and molecular techniques including; PCR and cloning, gel electrophoresis, protein and nucleic acid purification, enzyme assays as well as lab safety protocols
- Routine operation of instruments; incubators, UV/vis spectrophotometers, centrifuges and liquid handling
- Sample collection and preparation
- Data collection, analysis and visualization-R, Python, SPSS, MATLAB
- Research – experiential design; scientific literature searches
Science Co-op students are equipped with a solid foundation of transferable skills which include:
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Research, analysis, and project management
- Communications and writing
- Digital Technology
- Leadership and teamwork
- Cultural and historical awareness
For a detailed list of courses to learn of the areas covered by Chemistry lectures and labs, please refer to the University of Manitoba’s Academic Calendar.