International Students

International Students

International students are welcome to apply for Co-op.  If accepted into the Co-op Program international students must:

  • Obtain a Work Authorization Permit application from the Work Opportunities for Foreign Students page of the Citizen and Immigration Canada website.  Download the Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay Or Remain In Canada Form and the Checklist.  This permit allows international students to participate in off-campus cooperative education employment.
  • Request a letter from the Co-op Office detailing the conditions of Co-op participation and employment.  This letter will ask that the Work Authorization Permit be valid until the completion of all three Co-op work terms.  It must be included in the above application package.
  • Submit the entire package immediately to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.  Check the CIC website for information on how to submit the application and the processing times.
  • Students must have a valid study permit to apply for a Co-op work permit.

There is no fee for Work Permit applications within internship or co-op programs.  International students may contact / see an advisor at the International Centre for co-op work permit related questions.

A copy of the Work Authorization Permit must be submitted to both the work term employer and the Co-op Office prior to the commencement of the work term.

Please note that international students will not be eligible to apply for positions with Canadian federal departments and agencies requiring secret security clearance within the federal government.