The Placement Process – Computer Science
In each of our three terms, there are two groups of students involved in the program; one group is participating in a work term while the other is on campus for an academic term. During each term, preparations are being made for the upcoming work term as follows:
- Industry is contacted to request and solicit Co-op job postings.
- Students engage in preparatory work for the recruitment cycle, such as: resume and cover letter critiques and interview practice sessions.
- Co-op positions are posted on an ongoing and continuous basis. Students submit applications through careerCONNECT. Each application that is submitted through careerCONNECT will consist of a cover letter, resume and transcript.
- Applications for posted positions are forwarded to the employers who in turn notify the Co-op Office regarding the students that they would like to interview.
- Interviews are conducted, remotely or in-person, and hiring decisions are submitted to the Co-op Office.
- Co-op Office contacts selected student(s) to present offer, students have 48 hours to either accept, or decline. A student is only permitted to decline one offer per term, with a valid reason.
- Once offers have been accepted, employers provide students with written offers of employment.