Progression in a program occurs when a student meets the required grades and GPA requirements to continue in, or graduate from, their selected program. Specific progression regulations, also referred to as continuation or graduation requirements, for Faculty of Science degree programs can be found in the Academic Calendar.
As a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic the University Senate Executive Committee approved grading alternatives for courses completed in the Winter 2020, or in spanned Fall 2019/Winter 2020 courses. Students have until May 10th, 2020 to advise the university of their choice. To summarize, the three grading approaches are as follows:
Standard Approach: You can accept the letter grade you received. This is the default grading approach and your letter grade will be used in GPA calculations. No action needs to be taken on your part for this option.
Option 1: You can accept the letter grade received, but have it excluded from your UM GPA calculations. Your letter grade will appear on the transcript, with a note that you chose to exclude it from UM GPA calculations. All grades will appear with an asterisk (i.e. B*, C+*)
- All F grades earned will automatically be excluded from a student’s GPA. No action needs taken on your part. It will be designated with an asterisk (i.e. F*)
Information on how to exclude a grade that is a D or higher will be available soon.
Option 2: You can choose to receive a “pass” grade if you receive a grade of D or higher. No letter grade will be recorded on your transcript and a note will indicate that you chose this approach. The “pass” grade will be excluded from UM GPA calculations, which is the normal way “pass” grades are treated at UM. These pass grades will have no letter grade equivalent.
Option 3: You can choose to Voluntarily Withdraw (VW) from the course(s). The VW will show on your transcript, however, Limited Access will NOT apply for courses voluntarily withdrawn from Winter 2020 and Fall 2019/Winter 2020 spanned courses.
- The grade will be calculated as part of your GPA.
- If the letter grade is between a C and A+ then you will likely meet the prerequisites* for subsequent courses required in the degree program. (*some exceptions where a C+ or B may be required as a prerequisite; consult the Academic Calendar for more information)
- If the stated minimum grade, as per the Academic Calendar, is met, and your GPA meets the stated requirement, you will be able to declare a Major or Honours program, progress through your degree, or graduate, without needing to repeat the course.
Example: Most Major programs require a minimum grade of C+ in at least one course, and a minimum GPA of 2.0 to enter. A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required to continue and graduate. If these requirements are met a student will be able to enter, continue or graduate from a Major degree.
- Eligibility for scholarships and awards will not be affected. The letter grade will be included in the calculation of your earned GPA.
Option 1 (excluding grade from GPA):
F* grades, and grades chosen to be excluded, will not be calculated into your GPA.
- An excluded grade will appear on your transcript, with a comment that states it is not calculated in the UM GPA due to COVID-19.