International Students

International students are welcome to apply for Co-op. If you are accepted into the program, you will need to apply for a work permit in order to be employed on your work terms.

All of the information required to apply for your Work Permit can be found at Government of Canada Citizen and Immigration. You can apply for your work permit on-line (preferred method) or submit a paper application.

A letter from the Co-op Office detailing the conditions of Co-op participation and employment will be required and can be available on request. It must be included in the application package.

There is no fee for Work Permit applications within an internship or Co-op program.

Once international students have secured a Co-op position, a Social Insurance Number must be obtained. Information on the process can be found on the Government of Canada website. This should be done as soon as a Co-op placement has been secured. International students are not allowed to begin a work term without a SIN number.

Canadian federal government policy dictates that international students are only allowed to work for federal departments and agencies if no students with Canadian citizenship are available. International students may apply for federal government Co-op positions in the regular recruitment process but must indicate their international student status in their cover letter.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to complete your application, please contact the International Centre for Students, located at 541 University Centre or give them a call at 204-474-8501 to set up an appointment to see a Student Advisor.

Student Loans >