A warm welcome for new Science students – A warm welcome for new Science students – Faculty of Science Orientation Day a Success!
New students enrolled in the Faculty of Science had a great time at the orientation day organized by the Science Students Association, (SSA), in collaboration with a number of other groups on September 4, 2018.
Expert advice from both peers, advisors, and professors was offered; from where to buy textbooks, where to find the best coffee, how to prepare for an exam, and where to find the best place to study. With over $2500 in prizes to be won, an exciting scavenger hunt helped students to get better orientated with campus. A BBQ lunch, DJ, obstacle course, and dunk tank, put a smile on everyone’s face and made for a fun afternoon.
A number of student groups and organizations set up information booths and provided students with many ways to get involved. Student groups and organizations that attended included:
- UofM WICS (Women in Computer Science)
- BUGS (Biological Sciences Students’ Association)
- CSSA (Computer Science Students’ Association)
- UMSATS (Space Applications and Technology Society)
- PMUSER (Proceedings of Manitoba’s Undergraduate Science and Engineering Research) Journal
- .devClub, (Computer Science)
- LTS (Let’s Talk Science)
- WISE-Kid-Netic Energy
- UMULH (Undergraduate Leaders in Healthcare)
- UMAC (Actuarial Club)
This was the second time the SSA has held an orientation day dedicated to welcoming direct entry students enrolled in the Faculty of Science. Many thanks to all the student volunteers who spent months planning the event which by all accounts was a huge success!
Photos of Science Orientation Day.