Awards and Scholarships
Updated October 12, 2021
Master’s studentship valued at minimum $12,000 for 1 year; Doctoral studentship valued at $17, 850 for 1 year · For Master’s & PhD students
Research Field(s): Health-related fields
Deadline: November 15, 2021
|TRI-AGENCY (SSHRC, NSERC, & CIHR) CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS – MASTER’S (CGS-M)
$17,500 for 1 year · For Master’s students
Research Field(s): SSHRC, NSERC, and CIHR
Citizenship: Canadian Citizens & Permanent Residents of Canada are eligible for the CGS-M
Deadline: December 1, 2021 – 7pm Central Time
Howard Lees Scholarship in Microbiology $2,850
The Department of Microbiology has established an endowment fund with the proceeds from the H. Lees Scholarship Fund collected from his former friends and students. The Manitoba Scholarship and Bursary Initiative has made a contribution to this fund. Each year, the available annual interest from the fund will be used to offer one scholarship to a graduate student who:
(1) is a graduate of the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor of Science degree in an Honours or Major program in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or Genetics;
(2) is enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies in the first 24 months of a graduate program in the Department of Microbiology at the University of Manitoba;
(3) has achieved a minimum degree grade point average of 3.5;
(4) has attained the highest academic standing among their fellow microbiology graduate students in the last 48 credit hours of courses taken at the 2000 level or above.
Recipients may only hold this award once.
How to apply
1) Check that you meet all the criteria mentioned above
2) Calculate your GPA (last 48 credit hours taken at the 2000 level or above)
3) Send an email to Irene Golembioski identifying yourself as an applicant with your calculated GPA Deadline: August 26th, 2021 4:30 PM
Amber Scholarship Fund $1,500
The Amber Scholarship Fund administered by The Winnipeg Foundation will be used to provide scholarships to high achieving graduate students studying Microbiology at the University of Manitoba. Each academic year, the available earnings from the fund will be used to offer one scholarship to the graduate student who:
(1) is enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies in any year of study in either the Master’s or doctoral program delivered by the Department of Microbiology at the University of Manitoba;
(2) has achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.5 based on the previous 6 credit hours (or equivalent) of study from graduate-level courses the student has taken in their current program;
(3) has demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and strong research potential.
How to apply
Applicants will be required to submit an application to the Department of Microbiology which will consist of the following materials:
i) their thesis or dissertation proposal (maximum 1000 words);
ii) a current academic transcript (web copy is accepted)
iii) one letter of reference from the applicant’s supervisor/advisor or from a professor who has taught the applicant one or more courses. This letter should assess the applicant’s ability to succeed in a graduate program and/or speak to their research potential;
iv) a curriculum vitae of the applicant
Send your application in one pdf file named lastname_firstname_Amber 2021 to Stephanie Carter. Extended Deadline September 2nd, 2021 9:30 AM. Ask your supervisor to send the letter of reference to Stephanie Carter on or before the deadline.
Department of Microbiology Leadership and Service Recognition Award
The Department of Microbiology, with the help of the Canadian Society of Microbiologists (CSM), has established the Department of Microbiology Leadership and Service Recognition Award for graduate students. The cash prize is from $200-$300, depending on the number of awardees.
How to apply
1) Discuss your intention of applying with your supervisor to obtain their support for your application.
2) Prepare a CV, emphasizing your academic achievements, your leadership, and service contributions.
3) Ask your supervisor or committee advisor to provide a persuasive letter of support.
4) Secure an additional reference (maybe outside the University) While no letter from this additional reference is needed for this stage of the application, mention the name and contact information of this person, in case you are nominated for the Dean of Graduate Studies Student Achievement Prize (see information below).
5) Email your CV with the contact information of your additional reference to Irene Golembioski before July 13, 2021, 4:00 PM
6) Request your supervisor or committee advisor to email their letter of recommendation to Irene Golembioski before July 13, 2021, 4:00 PM
The Recipients of the Departmental/CSM leadership and Service Award will be recognized during the first Fall Departmental Seminar.
Further Nomination for The Dean of Graduate Studies Student Achievement Prize
After the awardee/s are selected, the strongest candidate may be nominated for the Dean of Graduate Studies Student Achievement Prize by the Graduate Committee. If you are the selected nominee, the Graduate Committee will inform you and will work with you to prepare the official nomination package to be submitted to FGS before August 6, 2021. The package will include a nomination letter from the Graduate Chair of the Department of Microbiology, and two letters of reference, one from your supervisor, and the other one from the additional reference that has been secured in advance. More information on this award can be found here:
University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF) competition.
In 2021, four scholarships were available. Value (for a 12 month period) Ph.D.: $18,000 Master’s: $14,000
Applications are submitted in April every year.
- Pursuing a Masters or a PhD degree in Microbiology
- Minimum admission GPA of 3.00 based on their admission to their current graduate program.
- Master’s students with more than 16 months in the graduate program are not eligible
- Ph.D. students with more than 40 months in the graduate program are not eligible
Selection criteria: academic achievements, experience in research, and research potential
- Application Package (UMGF Application 2021)
- Two letters of reference (sent separately to Irene Golembioski)
- Hawirko, Roma Zenovea Graduate Scholarship
- Amber Scholarship Fund
- Howard Lees Scholarship in Microbiology
Travel Awards (available throughout the year):
The Department of Microbiology provides travel awards up to $200 to two students per supervisor per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31). To apply, fill in the attached application and send it to the Departmental Office Administrative Assistant Stephanie.Carter@umanitoba.ca
The Faculty of Science will match the Departmental Award with an equal amount up to $200 (https://sci.umanitoba.ca/students/graduate-students/grad-student-travel-support/).
Students must apply to both sources of funding regardless of the amount to claim.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies also provides funds for traveling. Check the Award Database for FACULTY OF GRADUATE STUDIES TRAVEL AWARD and this link
Internal, External and Need-Based-Funding Awards information
- Visit the Graduate Student Funding and Awards Page
- Check the Full Listing of upcoming award deadlines