Applications to the Department of Physics and Astronomy must be submitted to the University of Manitoba, Faculty of Graduate Studies. In addition, the Department requires some additional documentation to be submitted as detailed below. Please review the general admission requirements. International students should check English language test requirements and the list of exempt countries.
To minimize issues that could arise during the application we suggest the following steps:
- Get in contact with a prospective advisor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, either directly or by filling out our informal inquiry (see link below). The Department will post your inquiry on an internal website accessible to all faculty, and will also forward your inquiry to all relevant faculty based on the research field(s) and specific advisors indicated on your form.
Please be aware that the Department cannot ensure that a potential advisor will reply to the inquiry, therefore you cannot expect a guaranteed answer. We strongly urge you to get into contact with potential advisors directly. Please be aware that you cannot be accepted for graduate studies at the University of Manitoba without the explicit commitment of an advisor.
Direct application to the Faculty of Graduate Studies without prior contact to a potential advisor may not succeed and will result in the loss of the application fee, independent of your qualifications.
Click here to fill inquiry form
- Once you have an informal understanding with an advisor to take you on, apply formally to the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Ensure that you also complete the following additional requirements.
- Inform the Department of Physics & Astronomy by email that you have sent a formal application; include your name, address, email address, proposed advisor, and the exact date of your application.
- Submit a curriculum vitae.
- Submit a letter describing your career goals and research interests, showing how these relate to the research program of your proposed faculty supervisor.
- GRE physics subject test score for Ph.D. applicants is preferred but not mandatory; please inquire with potential advisors about their preference.
- Stay in contact with your potential advisor during the admission process to make sure that things move forward.
- Once the Faculty of Graduate Studies has verified the completeness of your application, the potential advisor can make a formal commitment (or the application is circulated in the department to find an advisor) and Graduate Studies will proceed with the final approval, at which point you will be notified.