Tuitions and Financial Support
Current academic year tuition fees are as described on the Faculty of Graduate Studies website. Consult the links on the right-hand side for the program you are applying for (full-time MSc or Ph.D.). International students should note that if their entrance GPA is above 3.5, they generally will obtain a $4000 International Student Entrance Scholarship in their first year.
Additional fellowships and stipends are available, for example, the Ernst and Ingrid Bock award. Information about funding and awards from the Faculty of Graduate Studies is available here.
For housing questions, please consult the UoM Housing & Student Life page.
All students who are accepted into a research-based graduate program (this excludes the comprehensive Master’s in Medical Physics) are guaranteed a basic minimum stipend, which is set by the department on an annual basis. Current stipends are summarized in the table below .
Table of Stipends (2022-23)
|Program and scholarship level||Stipend including
a typical 1st year
|Ph.D. with TriCouncil Vanier CGS Scholarship||$ 53,000|
|Ph.D. NSERC CGS-D Fellowship||1st year ||$ 45,500|
|following years ||$ 38,000|
|Ph.D. NSERC PGS-D Fellowship||1st year ||$ 31,500|
|following years ||$ 32,500|
|Ph.D. with UMGF or Research MB scholarship||$ 29,800|
|Ph.D. (grant funded)||$ 26,000|
|M.Sc. with NSERC Fellowship (1 year) ||1st yr  CGS/PGSM||$ 28,000 / 27,800|
|2nd yr  CGS/PGSM||$ 28,000 / 28,000|
|M.Sc. with UMGF, MGS, or Research MB Scholarship||$ 27,700|
|M.Sc. (grant funded)||$ 24,650|
-  Stipend amounts listed are only for guidance, in case of an error in this table, the amounts established by the Ph&A Main Office take precedence.
-  Teaching assistantship is subject to availability and qualification (good command of the English language is required). A typical annual teaching assistantship for a 1st-year course is approximately $ 3000.
-  All scholarships with the exception of NSERC fellowships are available to international students.
-  The numbers in the table are projections for the coming year and can be subject to revision. Policy changes by national and provincial agencies and the university are beyond our control.
-  The 1st-year NSERC fellowships contain a top-up provided by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and the Faculty of Science. The amount shown here is approximate and subject to the availability of funds.
-  The amount listed includes a grant-funded top-up contingent on available funds.