Q: Where is the Faculty of Science office located?

The Faculty of Science office is located in room 230 Machray Hall on the University of Manitoba’s Fort Garry campus. Please refer to our campus map if you need help finding our office!

Note: The Faculty of Science office is not open to students at this time. Please call 204-474-8256 for assistance.

Q: How do I schedule an appointment with a Science Advisor?

If you have explored all available online resources for guidance and still require an appointment with an Advisor, please call the Faculty of Science office at 204-474-8256 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please be advised that not all inquiries warrant an appointment, so your questions may be answered more effectively over the phone.

Note: We are currently revising our academic advising practices in an effort to improve student experience. Please monitor your myumanitoba email account for updates on the upcoming changes!

Q: Can I meet with a Science Advisor in person?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Faculty of Science office is not open to students at this time. We hope to resume in-person advising in the near future!

Q: Which departments/subject areas are under the Faculty of Science?

The Faculty of Science encompasses several different departments, including:

  • Biological Sciences
  • Chemistry
  • Computer Science
  • Mathematics
  • Microbiology
  • Physics & Astronomy
  • Statistics

Other departments outside of the Faculty of Science also offer B.Sc. Major and/or Honours degrees through Science (for example, Actuarial Studies and Psychology). Additionally, the Faculty of Science offers many joint programs that include courses offered by more than one department; for example, Genetics, Biochemistry, Data Science, Mathematics-Economics, Statistics-Actuarial, Applied Mathematics-Computer Science, and more!

Q: What degree programs are offered in the Faculty of Science?

The Faculty of Science offers three main degree types that students can pursue:

  • BSc Major – 120 credit hour (four-year) program
  • BSc Honours – 120 credit hour (four-year) program
  • BSc General – 90 credit hour (three-year) program

Additionally, many of our Major and Honours degree programs offer co-op options. For more information regarding Faculty of Science degree options, and for a full list of our programs, please refer to the Academic Calendar.

Q: How do I know which courses I need to take to meet my degree requirements?

If you’re unsure which courses you need to take for your degree, you should begin by exploring our UM Achieve degree auditing system. This program, which is accessible through your University of Manitoba JUMP account, will help you to determine which courses you still require to complete your degree. For helpful video tutorials on how to use UM Achieve, please click here. If your desired Science program is not yet available for degree auditing in UM Achieve, you can refer to the Academic Calendar, which outlines the requirements for each of our degree programs in detail. If you still have questions about your degree requirements after exploring the options above, or if you’re confused about your degree audit results, our Academic Advisors are available to assist you with your program plan.

Q: Are you required to complete a minor in the Faculty of Science?

No. Minors are completely optional in the Faculty of Science, and are completed by fulfilling 18 credit hours of approved courses. If you would like to pursue a minor, you can find the requirements in the Academic Calendar. Once you have completed the first 6 credit hours of required courses with a grade of C or better, you can call 204-474-8256 to request the change. Please note that students cannot complete a minor in the General degree.

Q: What are the admission requirements for the Faculty of Science?

Depending on which type of applicant you are (Direct Entry from high school or Advanced Entry), admission requirements will vary. Please refer to the Undergraduate Admissions homepage for more information, and to view our Applicant Information Bulletins. Information on admission requirements can also be found by visiting the Faculty of Science website here.

Q: When should I register for courses? Where can I find out my registration date?

Registration times vary by term. If you would like to find out your registration date, you should log into your Aurora account. Your registration date will be listed under “Registration Time and Status” in the “Registration and Exams” section prior to the registration period each term. Please review the Important Dates and Deadlines page for term-specific information on registration times.

Q: How does Aurora determine my registration date?

During the Fall and Winter term registration period, registration dates for returning students are determined by GPA. During the Summer term registration period, initial access registration dates are determined by student number.

Q: What happens if I don’t register on my registration date?

It is important that you make every effort to register on your registration date, as this will give you your best access to class space. However, if you cannot register on your registration date, you can still register for courses until the end of the registration revision period for that term. Please review the Important Dates and Deadlines page for term-specific information on registration deadlines.

Q: I will be away on my registration date and a friend/family member will be registering for me. Can they contact the Faculty of Science office if they need help?

If your friend/family member has general inquiries about course registration, they are welcome to contact us for assistance. However, please be advised that we are not permitted to release any of your personal information, or make any changes to your course registration, unless you have submitted a signed Authorization to Release Information Form to the Faculty of Science office. If you want to ensure that your friend/family member has full access to act on your behalf during the registration period, you must make those arrangements ahead of time.

Q: How do I register for courses?

Course registration for the University of Manitoba is completed using Aurora, our online registration system. For more information on how to use Aurora, please refer to our helpful video tutorials. If you are having trouble registering for a course, please contact us by phone for assistance.

Q: How many courses do I have to take per semester?

The University of Manitoba does not require students to take a particular number of courses each semester. However, many students may be required to maintain full-time student status (a minimum of 3 courses/9 credit hours or 4 courses/12 credit hours per term) due to study permit, financial aid, scholarship, or program requirements. Please review all documentation provided by the IRCC or Financial Aid & Awards to determine your requirements. For program requirements, please review the Academic Calendar. If you’re unsure how many courses you should register for after reviewing these documents, please contact the Faculty of Science office for assistance.

Q: I need permission to register for a course. How do I get permission?

This will depend on the type of permission you require. Please consult with a Science Advisor about your permission request first to find out if registration is possible.

Q: I have a hold on my account. What should I do?

There are multiple reasons why your account may have been placed on hold. Account holds may be applied due to outstanding tuition fees, academic penalties, or for various other reasons. You can view your holds in Aurora under “Student Records.” If you’re unsure what to do about a hold on your account, or if you need to withdraw from a course while your account is on hold, please contact the Faculty of Science office for assistance.

Q: A course I need to register for is full. What are my options?

Many courses at the University of Manitoba now offer waitlists. For information on identifying courses with waitlists, how to register for waitlists, and more, please visit the Registrar’s Office website here. If the course you want to register for is full and does not have a waitlist, please continue to check Aurora regularly until a space becomes available.

Q: Can I register for a course at another university, but still be a University of Manitoba student?

Yes. If you would like to take a course at another institution for transfer credit at the University of Manitoba, you will need to apply for a Letter of Permission. The Letter of Permission process ensures that the course you are planning to take will be acceptable for credit in your degree program. Please note that you must apply for your Letter of Permission early enough to allow for a minimum of 8 weeks of processing time, as you cannot register at another institution without an approved Letter of Permission. For more information on Letters of Permission, please visit the Registrar’s Office website here. To find out which courses have been evaluated for transfer credit at your desired institution, please refer to the Transfer Credit Equivalencies Database.

Q: When is the deadline to revise my course schedule without financial penalty? When is the VW deadline?

Course revision and voluntary withdrawal deadlines vary by term. Please review the Important Dates and Deadlines page for term-specific information on these deadlines.

Q: What should I do if I'm having trouble accessing my course in UM Learn?

Your first step when having trouble with UM Learn is to contact the course instructor. They may refer you to the IST Service Desk for further assistance.

Q: How does repeating a course affect my GPA?

As of September 2016, when a University of Manitoba student wishes to repeat a course, the grades from all course completions will be used in the calculation of the CGPA. In other words, both the original grade and the repeated course grade will now be factored into the student’s CGPA. For more information on the Repeated Course Policy (2016), please refer to the academic policy changes.

Q: Where can I go for help with studying, preparing for exams, or finding a tutor?

There are many resources available on campus to help students succeed in their studies. The Science Students’ Association offers complimentary peer tutoring for many Faculty of Science courses each semester. Please visit the SSA website here for more information on their tutoring program. Alternatively, the Academic Learning Centre offers resources such as writing and study skills tutors, supplemental instruction, academic workshops, and more. For more information, and to review the full list of Academic Learning Centre services, please visit the ALC website here.

Q: I need to rent a locker. How do I do that?

Lockers in the Science complex are rented via the Science Students’ Association. For more information on locker rentals, please visit the SSA website here.

Q: I have questions about my study permit and/or international student status. Where can I go for help?

All questions concerning study permits and international student status should be directed to the University of Manitoba’s International Centre. You can visit the International Centre website here for answers to many commonly asked questions, but you can also reach them by phone at 204-474-8501.

Q: I need a letter for my employer/study permit/etc. that verifies my student status. Can an advisor write one for me?

Yes. If you need a document to confirm your student status and/or your expected graduation date, please call 204-474-8256 to request your letter.

We are currently working on an electronic process for these requests, which will be available soon!

Q: When are final exams? How do I find out when my final exams are scheduled?

Final exam dates vary by term, and can sometimes be scheduled outside of the regular exam schedule. To find out when your exams are scheduled, you should log into your Aurora account. Your final exam schedule can be found under “My Exams” in the “Registration and Exams” section. Please note that it is crucial that you do not schedule travel plans during any part of the exam period, as exam dates are subject to change. If you have questions about your exam schedule, please contact your course instructor for more information.

Q: What happens if I miss a final exam?

If you miss (or are planning to miss) a final exam, you must contact your home faculty in order to apply for a deferred exam. If the Faculty of Science is your home faculty, you will need to alert us within two business days of the missed exam in order to have your deferral request reviewed. Therefore, your first step should be to contact our office as soon as possible at 204-474-8256. If you missed your exam due to a medical reason, you will not be required to obtain medical documentation at this time. If you missed your exam due to a compassionate reason (ie. the passing of a loved one), you will be required to provide documentation such as an obituary, funeral program, or death certificate. For all other deferred exam requests (ex. religious observance, participation in specific scholastic and athletic events, etc.), you will be required to provide documentation and/or a written statement explaining why you missed (or will be missing) your final exam. Please be advised that deferring a final exam is a privilege that may not always be approved, and you may be required to provide further documentation upon the request of your Advisor. For more information on deferred exams, please contact the Faculty of Science office.

Q: I’m nearing the end of my degree and hope to graduate soon. What should I do now?

Congratulations! If you would like to confirm that you will meet the requirements to graduate on your chosen date, you should complete a degree audit in UM Achieve (see “How do I know which courses I need to take to meet my degree requirements?”). The next thing you will need to do is declare your graduation date. This can be done in Aurora by selecting “Declare Graduation Date” under the “Declarations” section. For all other inquiries related to graduation declaration and degree requirements, please contact the Faculty of Science office.