What is Computer Science?

Is there somewhere I can go if I'm having trouble in my Computer Science courses?

You can visit the Computer Science Help Centre in EITC E2-422A, for first and second year courses only.  for upper level courses please contact the professor of the course.

What areas of specialization does the Department of Computer Science offer?

The Department of Computer Science offers seven different areas of specialization in:  Artificial Intelligence; Computer Systems; Databases; Human-Computer Interaction and Graphics; Networks and Security; Software Engineering; and Theoretical Computer Science.
Specializations appear on your transcript when you graduate. Specializations are attained by completing a specific list of courses. A specialization means you have focused your studies in a particular area of  Computer Science.

How do I enter the Computer Science Major, Honours or Graduate programs?

To enter the Major program, you must first complete COMP 1010, COMP 1020 (C+), MATH 1300 or MATH 1310 (C+), and one of MATH 1500, MATH 1510, MATH 1520 or MATH 1690  (C+)and MATH 1700(C) with a minimum overall GPA of 2.00 and complete at least 18 credit hours of electives.

To enter the Honours program, you must obtain  a grade of B or higher in COMP 1020. You must also have a minimum overall GPA of 3.00 without any failures.

Read more at “How do I declare a major in Computer Science?”

To enter the Graduate programs, please read more at Applying to the Grad Programs.

How do I book an appointment with a science advisor?

Science advisors can be seen on a drop-in or apointment basis at 239 Machray Hall. Their hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30AM to 4:30PM (unless otherwise posted). For more info see the Faculty of Science Advisor page.

How do I declare a major in Computer Science?

First, complete the first-year course requirements (see “How do I enter into the Computer Science Majors or Honours program?”).

Next, transfer into the Faculty of Science using Aurora. For example, if you are in U1, or Engineering, you need to transit to Science. Of course, if you are already in Science, skip this step!

If you are already a Major student, then you can go into your Aurora account and declare the department as your major.  If you want to be in the Honours program mail the Faculty of Science advisors at sciadv@umanitoba.ca and request admission to the program.

How do I enter the Co-op program?

Students apply for our (fantastic!) co-op program at the end of their second year of courses.

I've already taken Computer Science in high school. Do I have to take COMP 1010?

You have three options:

1) You can take COMP 1010. Why? To make sure you know all of the content, get used to the U of M, and get a high grade! Programming language: Java.

2) You can take COMP 1012. Why? This course focuses more on scientific problems. Programming language: Python.

3) You can go directly into COMP 1020. Why? You know you want to go into Computer Science and this schedule lets you take COMP 2140 in your first year. Programming language: Java.

Why is there a hold on my account?

Check in your Aurora account to find out what the hold is for.  Then contact that office to have it removed.

Drop by the Computer Science Office (E2-445 EITC) if you have any questions.