The Department of Mathematics in the Faculty of has established an annually funded scholarship supported by the proceeds from the sale of student study booklets. The purpose of the scholarship is to recruit the top graduating high school students to pursue an Honours degree program in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Manitoba.
One or more scholarships valued at $2500 each will be offered to undergraduate students who:
- have met the Direct Entry admission requirements for the Faculty of Science at the University of Manitoba;
- are enrolled full-time in a Bachelor of Science degree program;
- have achieved a top 5 result in the province in one or more of the following math contests (in decreasing order of priority): Canadian Mathematical Olympiad or another national Olympiad, Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge, Hypatia, Galois, Fryer, Manitoba Math Contest, Canadian Senior and Intermediate Math contests, Euclid, Pascal, Cayley and Fermat.
The scholarships are renewable in the second year of study, provided that the recipients:
- enroll full-time in the Bachelor of Science Honours degree program in the Department of Mathematics in the next ensuing academic session;
- have achieved a minimum degree grade point average of 3.5;
- have completed the following courses offered by the Department of Mathematics: MATH 1220 Linear Algebra, MATH 1230 Calculus 1, MATH 1232 Calculus 2, and MATH 1240 Elements of Discrete Mathematics;
- have achieved a minimum sessional grade point average of 3.75 in the courses listed in criterion (3) above in the previous academic session.
The value of the renewable scholarship will be determined based on the recipient’s sessional grade point average in the following manner:
- GPA 3.75-3.99 ($2500)
- GPA 4.00-4.24 ($5000)
- GPA 4.25-4.50 ($7500)
- 2016: Kang Min Kim