Applying for Graduate Studies
We offer Masters and Ph.D. programs in Microbiology. Explore and apply to these programs here:
These programs are research-intensive. For that reason, a faculty member must agree to supervise the applicant, before the applicant is accepted for admission. In exceptional circumstances, individuals may be admitted to a Pre-Master’s program, where a research component and undergraduate courses are required before applying to the graduate program. In all cases, potential applicants must obtain written consent from a prospective supervisor within the department prior to submitting their application.
To apply for graduate studies in the Department of Microbiology follow the following steps:
- Be familiar with the general admission requirements established by the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Manitoba. These include a 4th-year degree, a B or 3.0 minimum grade, and English language Proficiency.
- Learn about the research conducted in the Department of Microbiology and find a potential supervisor by visiting the lab webpages of the Microbiology Faculty Members. Choose one or more potential supervisors based on your research interests and experience.
- Contact one or more potential supervisors by e-mail expressing your research interests and the reasons you have chosen their research programs. Attach your curriculum vitae (CV) or resume and undergraduate transcripts. If the scale used by your school is different from the one used by the University of Manitoba, you may convert your final grade and add it to the CV or e-mail.
- Wait for a response. If your package is selected, you will be contacted by a potential supervisor, usually within one or two weeks. You will receive further instructions on how to proceed.
- Once your supervisor accepts your application with a letter of support, apply using the Faculty of Graduate Studies web portal.
- Learn and calculate your estimated graduate tuition and fees through this link.
- If you are an international student learn about study permits and visas here.
Deadlines for applying to the Faculty of Graduate Studies Portal
|Start Term||Canadian and Permanent Resident Applicants||International Applicants|
|September (Fall)||June 1||March 1|
|January (Winter)||October 1||July 1|
|May (Summer)||February 1||November|
Please, note that the Department of Microbiology is not able to provide feedback to potential applicants that are not selected by potential supervisors. Below, there are common reasons for failing to find a potential supervisor:
- There are no positions available with that potential supervisor
- Interest/research experience of the potential applicant does not match that of the supervisor
- The e-mail sent by the applicant is directed to multiple supervisors simultaneously
- The e-mail sent by the applicant does not contain the required information
- The academic history of the potential applicant is not competitive compared to other individuals applying at the time
For more information, please contact the Administrative Assistant (Graduate Affairs) Rizza Reyes at Rizza.Reyes@umanitoba.ca or the Associate Head (Graduate Affairs) Dr. Silvia Cardona at firstname.lastname@example.org