Pre-Workshop Instructions (optional)
For Workshop II: Astrostatistics by Gwendolyn Eadie on Wednesday, July 5, here are some (optional) pre-workshop instructions for participants to undergo an interactive activity:
- If you are familiar with Jupyter notebooks and want to do the activity on your own laptop, then please download this notebook ahead of time: https://github.com/gweneadie/BayesianMandMs/blob/master/Student%20_Worksheet.ipynb
- For the above notebook to work, you will need to make sure that both Jupyter and the R Statistical Software language are installed on your laptop and that you can use the R kernel in Jupyter. (Fun fact: jupyter was designed to work with Julia, Python, and R! Hence the name JuPyteR).
- If you need to install Jupyter, then go here: https://jupyter.org/.
- If you need to install R on your laptop, then follow the instructions for your type of operating system (e.g., Windows, Mac OS, etc) here: https://www.r-project.org/.
- There are lots of resources online to get R working in jupyter notebooks (try searching for “R kernel in Jupyter notebooks”).
Just a reminder that this is totally optional! The notebook will be up on the screen and you can simply follow along.